by: JBH Wonders

The Suggested Links are websites that I frequently visit. These are informative and entertaining perhaps. I offer no endorsement of them here and I am not being compensated for posting their links.

Note: The Links to Drawings and Documents for Wood Projects and the Hand Pump Project are Now Working Again.

***Edit from JBH Wonders daughter: This blog belonged to my father. He unfortunately lost his battle with cancer in March 2018. I'm sure he would still welcome comments on any of his postings, but please respect his wishes to keep them short and CLEAN, and please be RESPECTFUL of him. He was a brilliant man of few words with lots of good information to offer, which is why he created this blog. Thank you to all his faithful readers. -Jessica

Sunday, October 15, 2017

My Original Music



Here is a collection of songs and poems that I have written over the years. The lyrics have music, chord progressions, etc that go along with each of them. There are links given so they can be listened to. Be aware that these recordings were not professionally done and have been transposed through various audio mediums over the years (and some of this is just sort of putrid). But the audio is clear enough for one to hear how the songs go. Please note that this work is copyrighted.

My gift/desire/inspiration to write music has greatly declined over the years. But for what it is worth, here is some ancient history. It is my minuscule contribution to the bazillion of songs that have never been heard.
(Note: For anyone wanting to use this material, please contact me at: jbhwonders@gmail.com)





Song Title:California Has me Hanging Around”        Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1973            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: CALHANG.DOC              CD Reference: BENFIL04.WAV

Click HERE to Play the Music: 

LYRICS

“I left the East in the month of May,

On a plane that was headed away,

“Now the mountains and the ocean are mine,

“To keep crowded places from reaching my eyes,


” California has me hanging around,

“Holding my feet down into her ground,

“And if I feel the same way tomorrow,

“Lord it might take awhile for me to get back home.


“Swimming the serf with no worry of time,

“Making impressions of my feet in the sand,

“Getting high on the things we love,

“Feeling down when there isn’t enough,


” California has me hanging around,

“Holding my feet down into her ground,

“And if I feel the same way tomorrow,

“Lord it might take awhile for me to get back home.


”I can’t remember where I came from,

“Though it wasn’t such a long time ago,

“I just wanted to see the end,

“Of the land and where the water begins,


” California has me hanging around,

“Holding my feet down into her ground,

“And if I feel the same way tomorrow,

“Lord it might take awhile for me to get back home.

“And if I feel the same way tomorrow,

“It might take awhile for me to get back home….


 



Song Title: “Are we Talking on the Same Line?”: Written by J. Benten Hissong  Year Written: 1975            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: SIDEWAYS.DOC            CD Reference: BENFIL17.WAV

LYRICS

 "Minstrels on the sidewalk, playing their poor hearts out,

"For the sake of their crowd, or maybe a dime,

"I listened to them for awhile and gave them my dollar,

"Hoping they will do me the same if I get a need for either,


"Hey can you read me? Are we talking on the same line?

"Just give me your number and I promise I'll call sometime.


"There was a rain dance down at the square,

"Real live Indians everywhere,

"And I took a chance and walked right through,

"And people waved, ones I did not know.


"Hey can you read me? Are we talking on the same line?

"Just give me your number and I promise I'll call sometime.


"Down at the beaches sitting on a rock,

"There sat an old man winding his clock,

"Hey old man what time do you have? It's time for me to go.


"Sit down son and I'll tell you the time,

"Just talk to me awhile,

"Tell me what you are looking for and I'll tell you which way to go.


"Hey can you read me? Are we talking on the same line?

"Just give me your number and I promise I'll call sometime.







Song Title: “Sideways Again”                                          Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1976            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: SIDEWAYS.DOC            CD Reference: BENFIL08.WAV

LYRICS

"Well luna's in a second quarter, the stars are falling down,

"I keep hearing these voices, but there's no one around,

"Not tonight my lady said-some other time,

"And so I sit drinking up this bottle of wine.


"Now the local law keeps rousting me, are you still here?

"I say yes I am did you bring me any beer,

"And as he left he told me that I'd better move along,

"But things will continue right after he is gone,


"Then a groupie came by and stayed for awhile,

"But all that she gave me was a sweet little smile,

"But that's ok, that's alright 'cause if my lady found out,

"She would raise some fuss and kick me out.


"Well my pockets are empty, my jug is going dry,

"The smoke is all gone and I'm ready to cry,

"Invisible creatures stirring all about,

"But I'm too tired to move and too stoned to shout....


"Now night time's just about to call it a day,

"'Don't like staring at the darkness anyway,

"So don't mind me if I just get up and go,

"Cause it's a long way back for one walking so slow,

"Yea well don't mind me if I just get up and go,

"Cause it's a long way back for one walking so slow.....


Song Title: “Not Going Back”                                           Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1981            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: NOMORE.DOC                CD Reference: BENFIL17.WAV



Click HERE to Play the Music:

LYRICS

 "Cannot count on me anymore,


"I've turned my back on every door,

"I don't know the why and what for,


“And I'm not going back no more, No,


"I can't go back anymore,



"I fell in love with young dear hearts,


"It was hopeless from the start,


"And now they are over and it's tearing me apart,


And I can't go back no more, No,


"I'm not going back anymore,



"Having all kinds of trouble,


"Just keeping myself out of trouble,



"Whenever I am walking the streets at night,


"It gets so frightening that I don't stop anywhere,



"So you cannot count on me anymore,


"All the pubs have opening doors,


"I don't know what I was looking for,


"But I'm not going back no more, no,



"I can't go back no more...



“I’ll buy me a bottle if you'll run me home,


“I feel much safer when I am alone,


“All the walls and the floors don’t bite,


“So I’m not going out tonight no,


“I’m staying out of town tonight.

“Yes I’m staying out of town tonight.
 


 

Song Title:Night Time Blues”                                        Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1973            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: NIGHTBLUES.DOC         CD Reference: BENFIL23.WAV

LYRICS 

“Well the moon is a shining,

“And it looks like night time again,

“I said well the moon is a shining,

“And it looks like night time again,

“Well drinking away your cares all night,

“And when the time is right,

“You just walk away kind of slow,


“If you feel like crying,

“Baby my shoulder is here,

“If you ever feel like crying,

“Baby my shoulder is here,

“Well you might need me sometime,

“And if that feeling grows,

“You know very well that I’ll be here.


“Well the moon is a shining,

“And it looks like night time again,

“I said well the moon is a shining,

“And it looks like night time again,

“Well you might need me sometime,

“And if that feeling grows,

“You know very well that I’ll be here.




Song Title:You Never Said You Loved Me”               Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1983            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: NEVER.DOC     CD Reference: BENFIL25.WAV

LYRICS

 “And you said you would sleep in my bed,

“And not say goodbyes that I dread,

“Now the years have come and gone,

“And your faithfulness lingers on,

“But still…


“You never said you loved me,

“No matter how hard I would plead,

“Promises you gave,

“Satisfaction guaranteed,

“But three little words I never heard,


“And talking is not your favorite thing,

“But the kisses you would always bring,

“But there doesn’t seem to be anymore,

“So I don’t know what we are trying for,

“And still….


“You never said you loved me,

“And I just could never to see,

“How you could stay around,

“And not play around,

“Even if there was no need,





Song Title: “Mirage                                                          Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1971            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: MIRAGE.DOC                  CD Reference: BENFIL28.WAV



LYRICS

 “It’s a mirage,

“It’s there but it isn’t real,

“You’ve seen it when your mind was lost,

“When it was not there,


“Feeling good tonight,

“Something still isn’t right,

“The lights are blinding,

“The streets are spinning around,


“And you can’t find a solution,

“So you need a substitution,

“And it’s waiting around the corner,

“And people you know are there,


“Then you wake up asking strangers where you are,

“Feeling the pains of days before,

“Making vows you’ll do it no more,

“All the time knowing…

“You’ll hit it again tonight,

“It’s a mirage,


“It’s there but it isn’t real,

“You’ve seen it when your mind was lost,

“When it was not there,

“When it was not there…..




Song Title:I Know Now”                                                Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1971            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: KNOWNOW.DOC          CD Reference: BENFIL29.WAV

LYRICS

 “Breathing in a hastened world where people make believe,

“That they are someone else,

“And time after time I think what’s going to happen next,

“If I don’t find you,


“But I still see the beauty in every girl I see,

“I just wish that one could find a tiny something in me,

“But wishes don’t buy happiness,

“I just never thought I guess how tangled a person could be,


“Many years of solitude hiding anywhere,

“Thought I found some kind of standing comfort there,

“But now I want to come back out,

“And see what it’s all about and try to understand,


“And when I find myself I’ll look her in the eyes,

“And see where I went wrong,

“Then I hold her close to me,

“And tell her what she means to me,

“Because I know now,

“I know now…..




Song Title:The Best of Tomorrow (Song for Janie)”Written by J. Benten Hissong            Year Written: 1975            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: JANIE.DOC                      CD Reference: BENFIL24.WAV

LYRICS

 “All the stars are out tonight,

“ ‘Not a single cloud in sight,

“Tomorrow will be a sunny day,

“Filled with warmth that will always stay,


“A gentle breeze will ruffle your hair,

“And remind you of me when I’m not there,

“With this song I give to you,

“All the best that will happen tomorrow,


“I’m just trying hard to convey,

“What I am always afraid to say,

“Time and time I sing these lines,

“To say what I feel and to make it rhyme,

“Think I’ll stop and just wish for you,

“All the best that will happen tomorrow….




Song Title:Help me now”                                                Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1976            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: HELPNOW.DOC              CD Reference: BENFIL26.WAV

LYRICS

 “There was a time when Father knew best,

“And He would know more than all the rest,

“But now He is saying that I am on my own,


“Please help me now I’m all confused,

“Life is a game that I don’t want to lose,

“And the blues is here and it sure is bringing me down,


“I am working this puzzle for show,

“One piece is missing I think you know,

“Just break the rules and help me find it,

“Dreams are not cheep and never ever on sale,


“I am not young but I am not wise,

“And Father would know if He looked in my eyes,

“The senses are drugged, and the mood is way too blue,


“Please help me now, I’m all confused,

“Life is a game I don’t want to lose,

“And the blues is here, and it sure is bringing me down…..

  



Song Title:Hearing Goodbyes”                                     Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1976            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: GOODBYES.DOC            CD Reference: BENFIL17.WAV
LYRICS

“This is my last chance at love,

“I’m bowing out after this one,

“I’m tired of hearing goodbyes,

“When it’s not me who is saying goodbye,


“One hundred and forty two times ago,

“My first love started the trend of,

“Dear John’s and saying goodbye in the morning,


“You can’t give me any new excuses,

“I’ve heard them all and all of their uses,

“Just give me that old familiar sigh,

“And I know that I’m hearing good bye,


“You’re my last and only hope of,

“Proving feelings that I’ve never been sure of,

“Please stay, because you should know why,

“It’s that I’m tired of hearing goodbyes…

“I’m tired of hearing goodbyes….




Song Title:Friday Evening”                                            Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1973            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: FRIDAY.DOC   CD Reference: BENFIL12.WAV

LYRICS

 “I’ll take a plane if the wind is blowing,

“’Take a boat if the water’s flowing,

“It’s Friday evening and I have to,

“Get off of this crazy island,


“Four o’clock whistle is blowing,

“The streets are filling up with cars,

“Traffic lights playing their game of,

“Telling people where to go,


“Friday, Friday evening,

“Keep on coming don’t pass us by ‘cause,

“You’re the night that we’re sure of,

“Don’t want any other,


“Bus stops alive with people,

“Making change and reading the funnies,

“Waiting for the number to take them,

“Down to their favorite tavern,


“Say now, don’t say maybe,

“We’ll go downtown and see a movie,

“If it rains we’ll dodge the raindrops,

“This night won’t end until tomorrow,


“Friday, Friday evening,

“Keep on coming don’t pass us by ‘cause,

“You’re the night that we’re sure of,

“Don’t want any other…..





Song Title:She’s Alone and Crying”                            Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1973            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection submitted for Copy Right, 2003
File Name of this Document: ALONE.DOC    CD Reference: BENFIL22.WAV

LYRICS

 “Justify, and tell me why,

“We turn our head in her hour of need,

“She’s alone and crying-soon we could be dying,

“Mother please give us a little more time,


“Damn the fools who make the rules,

“They’re taking the upper hand,

“Killing her children and maiming her beauty,

“People can’t you understand,


“She has feelings, sometimes she is happy,

“When she’s hurt, sometimes she’ll cry,

“One day she’ll go mad and be oh so glad,

“That no one can hurt her no more,


“Justify, tell me why,

“We turn our heads in her hour of need,

“She’s alone and crying-soon we could be dying,

“Mother please give us a little more time.

“Mother please give us a little more time….




Song Title:As If I ever”                                                   Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1971            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection submitted for Copy Right, 2003
File Name of this Document: ASIFI.DOC       CD Reference: BENFIL27.WAV

LYRICS

“I see the people going their way,

“And I watch the sun come up each day,

“And I can see her walking away, She wasn’t inclined to stay,

“As if I ever had her, I know I’ve lost her now,


“Have you ever seen some one,  Some one you did not know,

“Sitting alone and looking alone,  Some one you’d like to know,

“And when your courage finally comes, To know that person there,

“They would get up and walk away,  And you would be feeling dispair,


“Here it is spring again, There is no one at my side,

“Here I am longing for, The comforts of a bride,

“But every season’s always the same, Won’t be no changes this time,

“But I will keep on striving for, The one I know I’ll find,


“I see the sun peek through the clouds,

“I feel the rain fall down on me,

“And I can see her walking away,

“She wasn’t inclined to stay,

“As if I ever had her,

“I know I’ve lost her now….




Song Title:Coming Home”                                              Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1972            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: COMHOME.DOC            CD Reference: BENFIL21.WAV

LYRICS

“His long hitch-it ends tomorrow,

“So if you see him,

“Tell him to have no sorrow,

“Cause they are finally letting him go,

“And I want you to know,

“That it’s still not over,


“So many days and so many miles away,

“Taking their chances of never seeing the day,

“When they are finally letting them go,

“And I want you to know,

“That it’s still not over,


“But if he’s lying on the ground,

“And his heart isn’t making a sound,

“Say a short prayer for him,

“Tell him if somebody cares,

“And who is crying and where,

“And who is crying and where….

 

 
Song Title:Dawn”                                                            Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1973            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: DAWN.DOC                    CD Reference: BENFIL30.WAV

LYRICS

 “Dawn,

“The wind blowing through the trees,

“Awakes you,

“From your dreams,


“You have brought the times a brand new morning,

“The sleep is still in your eyes,


“Her voice ringing melodies,

“Dawn whose companion would you be,

“If I woke up would you still be here,


“Dawn can you take a chance,

“Make your presence last,

“I wait so long for you to come,

“Just to see you slip away,


“Ok Dawn, take it all away from me,

“If I have my mind I’ll see you again tomorrow,


“Does Dawn really breathe,

“Can she really see where she belongs,

“Or is my imagination running away with me….





Song Title:Song for Dorothy”                                       Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1980  
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: DOROTHY.DOC              CD Reference: RD104.WAV

LYRICS

“Fifty years ago it snowed,

“Now the snow will be upon your head,

“Don’t be looking back ole girl,

“Just be looking ahead,


“Count your birthdays backwards now,

“Just be careful to go real slow,

“Or else it will be confusing someone,

“If you ever zero,


“There is still a sparkle in your eyes,

“There is still some loving for your guy,

“And there is still enough humor in your heart,

“To make you smart enough to say…


“There’s no turning back now,

“I don’t think you want to anyhow,

“So I give you today and the rest of your days to say,

“You’re gonna give life some hell, yea

“You’re gonna give life some hell…





Song Title:The Second Time Today”                                           Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1973
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: SECTIME.DOC                                CD Reference: BENFIL09.WAV


LYRICS

"Steal sixty seconds from a morning hour,

"Don't say today you can't spare the time'

"Make me believe that I'm not a stranger'

"It's the second time today,

"That I've forgotten the feeling.


"You know by now that I can't analyze you,

"I'm just trying to know where I stand,

"One would never know by the way you treat me,

"It's the second time today,

"That I've forgotten the feeling.


"The feeling of knowing where I can belong,

"The things you feel when you can sing a song,

"That does not contain,

"Verses of loneliness,


"So pay no attention to the time of day,

"Even if someone is looking our way,

"Just stop and greet me for a time,

"So no one will hear me say,

"That I've forgotten the feeling.....




Song Title:Captured Blues”                                                           Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1976
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: CAPBLUES.DOC                             CD Reference: BENFIL14.WAV

LYRICS

"Now the news is out that I'm a fool,

"I fell in love and broke my rule,

"Now it's another three AM,

"And she don't give a damn,


"Women always have the lead,

"They will knock a man right his feet,

"And make him feel some pleasure while he is falling down,




“With pretty eyes and come on smiles,

‘You know you’ll lose it by a mile,

“But all is fare in love and war,

“And who’s keeping score,


"Now I don't need you,

"And you don't need me,

"But when we get together there is some magic happening,

"And I'm losing control,

"And don't you know,

"I don't want to see this lady putting any strings on me,


"Now the news is out that I'm a fool,

"I fell in love and broke my rule,

"But.....who cares.......







Song Title:Cities”                                                               Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1982            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: CITIES.DOC                     CD Reference: RD201000.WAV



LYRICS

"The boy was bored and having no fun,

"So he went to town and away he ran,

"And I'll agree that cities are not a nice place to be,


"With street lights flashing with an awful glare,

"And people name of trouble waiting everywhere,

"So do your work then go away,

"You'll do much better if you cannot stay,

"And I'll agree that cities are not a nice place to be.


"I'll see you bet and call your raise,

"But I can't go along with all the craze,

"And if you ask me why I'll say,

"I've just seen better ways,


"Don't like traffic jams that slow me down,

"Didn't like the disco when it was around,

"So if someone waves then I will too,

"But I'm just passing through 'cause,

"Cities are not a nice place to be,


"I was raised in a country way,

"Picking corn and bailing hay,

"And if you ask me why I'll say,

"That is the only way 'cause,

"Cities are not a nice place to be.....

 


INSTRUMENTALS


The following are instrumentals that I wrote. A couple are adapted from the work of others. I make no claim on the works of others. These recordings were not professionally done and have been transposed through various audio mediums over the years. Also, I may have been under the influence of “something” while performing.

< < CLICK THE TITLES TO PLAY >>


 "Adlib Serenade"

"Sale on Market Street (With Video)"

"Pickin' on E"

"Scrambled Eggs"

AND JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT (PLAYED BY ME NOT WRITTEN BY ME)

< < CLICK THE TITLES TO PLAY >>






POEMS


Song Title:The Tinker”   (A Poem)                               Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1977            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: TINKER.DOC   CD Reference: Not Applicable

A Poem, no Chord Progression

“Behold the Tinker,

“A righteous man,

“With implements of creation in his hands,


“With a mind to figure,

“And an idea to try,

“There is a trace of madness in his eyes,


“With trials and errors,

“And failures galore,

“He works out the kinks,

“Until there are no more,


“And alas it is finished!

“This gadget has uses!

“Why, it’s even suffered,

“The tinker’s verbal abuses,


“And again while he sits,

“With idling fingers,

“The glory of the challenge,

“Long still lingers,


“And as these serious thoughts still remain,

“Please understand he is not insane,

“He is…,

“A tinker…
 


Song Title:Mighty Oak” (A Poem)                               Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1974            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: MITYOAK.DOC              CD Reference: Not Applicable

A Poem, no Chord Progression

 “I stand alone at the top of this hill,

“Spreading my leaves to the fading day,

“The children that were here have all gone away,

“And now I face the nightly chill,


“I am a mighty oak tree,

“Many are the years that I’ve seen,

“I just live to give some shade,

“To drifters passing by,

“Or to keep a nest from falling to the ground.


“I heard the storm when it came last night,

“For a little while he talked to me,

“But then he had to go and now,

“Now I’m feeling a need,


“I am a mighty oak tree,

“Many are the faces that I’ve seen,

“They always stop for a little while,

“But then they have to go,

“And without even saying hello,


“I AM A MIGHTY OAK TREE!

“I AM A MIGHTY OAK TREE!

“A honed edge is swinging and now I’m falling down,

“Someone is trying to kill me….

 



Song Title:Portrait of a Loner” (A Poem)                     Written by J. Benten Hissong          Year Written: 1970            
Part of the “First and Last of my Very Best” Collection; Copy Right SRU514-853: 2003
File Name of this Document: LONER.DOC                     CD Reference: Not Applicable 

A Poem

“Blind to the sun that lights the day,

“Deaf to the wind hushing the sea,

“Numb to the warmth residing in me,

“A grain of sand in a darkened corner of an island,


When people ask if you are alive,

“And there is only one way you can reply..,

“Blind to the world in exile from me,

“Numb to the feelings that are trying to be,

“Unable to speak the simplest language,

“Deaf to the music that is trying to break the silence,


“No, I have not deserted the realm,

“I have taken a trip from myself,

“To see what no other may see,

“My failure to find,

“What is absent within me…


AND THAT IS ALL THERE IS THERE AIN'T NO MORE





 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome but please keep them short and CLEAN.
Edit from JBHWonders daughter: This blog belonged to my father. He unfortunately lost his battle with cancer in March 2018. I'm sure he would still welcome comments on any of his postings, but please respect his wishes to keep them short and CLEAN, and I'll add RESPECTFUL of him. He was a brilliant man of few words with lots of good information to offer, which is why he created this blog. Thank you to all his faithful readers. -Jessica